What values are considered false?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Feb 20 23:11:08 EST 2002

Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:
> Many languages (other than Scheme) have a loose definition of truth
> and falsity, simply because at times it's useful to be able to test
> any object for truth.

If you want a really odd concept of falsity, look at SQL.  NULL is neither
true nor false!  Or, looking at it a different way, anything non-NULL is
neither equal to, nor not equal to NULL.

This actually causes some strange interactions in the python SQL modules.
You put '' into a database, and get None back.  They are both false, but
they're not the same thing.

Anybody remember .TRUE. and .FALSE. :-)

PS -- In the lists of false things in python that have been mentioned on
this thread, I don't think I've seen anybody mention {}, the empty
dictionary.