No space left on device

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Feb 21 10:40:15 EST 2002

sag at hydrosphere.com (Sue Giller) writes:

> So, I am assuming there is some problem with the FAT32 system
> when a directory gets lots of files in it.  Since I can make the 100K
> files if I don't use mktemp, I am also assuming there is some
> problem with mktemp in this scenario.

Unlikely. More likely, the length of each individual filename matters.
Also, as you've reported, it is the open() that is failing, not the
mktemp. Since, in your test, mktemp returns the file names in a
predictable way, just try removing that call and create the files
explicitly in the order in which they get created.

> If anyone figures this out, it would be interesting to know what is
> going on.  Meanwhile, I guess I'll need to redesign my file
> generation algorithm to split things up.

It is very easy. You are exceeding a limit of the operating
system. What the precise limit in terms of number of files is is
difficult to say, as it depends on the specific file names, in
particular, on whether some of them are long filenames.

Regards,
Martin