Autocoding project proposal.

Gerson Kurz gerson.kurz at t-online.de
Mon Feb 4 09:40:00 EST 2002

On 27 Jan 2002 22:56:24 -0500, Kragen Sitaker <kragen at pobox.com>
wrote:

>COBOL has the same advantage, really.  Not that I'd want to use or
>learn COBOL, but if I had to write a program to do some kind of simple
>calculation and it needed to be readable by nontechnical people, COBOL
>would be the tool for the job!

Proof that you can write unintelligible code in a language that is as
COBOLesque as can get:

http://p-nand-q.com/sorted.htm

Here is a fibonacci program in that language (note that everything is
more or less english):

This code uses the numbers twenty, seventyone, three, two, and one.
This code sometimes goes to the second label if the first condition is
true, sometimes goes to the fourth label if the second condition is
true, always goes to the third label, always goes to the fifth label,
and always goes to the first label.
This code writes the eleventh number as a english cardinal.
This code cannot read.
This code uses the sums of the tenth number and the eleventh number,
and of the second number and the fifth number.
This code uses the condition
that the second number is equal to the first number,
and the condition that the second number is less than the third
number.
This code uses five labels.
This code does not use any ordered differences.
This code assigns the fourth number to the tenth number,
the fifth number to the eleventh number,
the fifth number to the second number,
the second sum to the second number,
the eleventh number to the fourth number,
the eleventh number to the tenth number,
and the first sum to the eleventh number.
This code does not use any products.
This code implements
the third assignment,
the first label,
the first jump,
the second jump,
the third jump,
the fourth label,
the second assignment,
the sixth assignment,
the fourth jump,
the third label,
the fifth assignment,
the seventh assignment,
the first assignment,
the fifth label,
the first output,
the fourth assignment,
the fifth jump, and
the second label.
This code does not use any ratios.
This code does not use any logical operations.
Cool.