for item in (pydoc, docs, lib): question_regarding(item)

Gerson Kurz gerson.kurz at t-online.de
Wed Feb 6 12:02:33 EST 2002

1) Shouldn't

c:\python22\lib\pydoc.py -w c:\python22\lib

work (provided you have python installed in c:\python22)? Well, it
starts working just fine, but then all those ugly "test" macros hit
in, and finally the processing is aborted with

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\python22\lib\pydoc.py", line 2101, in ?
    if __name__ == '__main__': cli()
  File "C:\python22\lib\pydoc.py", line 2068, in cli
    writedocs(arg)
  File "C:\python22\lib\pydoc.py", line 1361, in writedocs
    writedocs(path, pkgpath + file + '.', done)
  File "C:\python22\lib\pydoc.py", line 1368, in writedocs
    writedoc(modname)
  File "C:\python22\lib\pydoc.py", line 1347, in writedoc
    html.document(object, object.__name__))
  File "C:\python22\lib\pydoc.py", line 267, in document
    if inspect.ismodule(object): return apply(self.docmodule, args)
  File "C:\python22\lib\pydoc.py", line 528, in docmodule
    cdict[key] = cdict[value] = '#' + key
TypeError: 'str' object is not callable

and the rest of the files is not processed.

2) There are some minor things I would like to see changed in the
official python documentation. e.g., the example in section "6.4 stat
-- Interpreting stat() results" uses the line

pathname = '%s/%s' % (dir, f)

which IMHO should read

pathname = os.path.join(dir, f)

I think that IF you at last give in and RTFM, it should at least
silently guide you to the python-way of doing things. Now, where to
submit things like these?

And saving the best for last:

3) Is there something like a TODO-list for "The Python Standard
Library"? And how to contribute?

I'm thinking of tiny things like a hexdump function or administrative
functions (like "granting/denying a user access to a file on NT") and
things like that. [If you speak out regarding "OS dependancy",
remember "sunau" and those IRIX modules]. I'd also like to add bigger
things like a stripped down generic SMTP/POP3 server.

I know we had threads on this before and they never got anywhere, but
hey this time it could all be totally different :)