Pointers for solving windows GUI problem.

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 28 10:47:49 EST 2002

Greetings all,

I'm posting this question in the hope that someone has already done
this, or something similar, and can perhaps direct me some code or a
tutorial that will shorten the path to a solution.

I have a Windows COM object which renders a series of images into a
window. I can control the COM object using provided API methods. I
don't have the source for the COM object.

I want to do screen grabs of the display of this window at various
stages, so that I can dump them to files, in GIF, JPEG or PNG format.

What I'm looking for is perhaps some sample code that does this or
something similar. Failing that, a pointer to a good MFC tutorial
would be most helpful.

I am totally unfamiliar with MFC and Win32 GUI programming, although
I've developed some X-Windows stuff in the distant past.

However, given the excellent tools available, namely Python and Mark
Hammond's excellent Windows extensions, I have every faith that the
job can be done without having to go near VC++ (which I can do, but
really don't want to :-)

TIA for any pointers.

Cheers,

Alan.