high precision mathematics

Karl M. Syring syring at email.com
Sat Feb 23 10:53:16 EST 2002

"Carl Banks" <idot at vt.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:j2935a.0b.ln at 127.0.0.1...
> Karl M. Syring wrote:
> > But you really should to it. I have floating point code that was running
for
> > a long time without a hitch and then the horrible happened. The ugly
thing
> > is, the code often will not crash but produce wrong results that seem to
be
> > plausible. If you don't have any results to check the output, the worst
> > nightmares might come true.
>
> I'm sorry I answered this troll.
>
> I he weren't a troll, I might ask him to try updating his rational
> number 100 times per second with a differential equation and see what
> happens to the denominator.  But he is a troll, so it wouldn't matter.

You obviously are a clueless!
This fork of the thread was not referencing to problems in computational
geometry, but to insufficient knowledge of numerical analysis in general. I
have learnt my lesson, you obviosly have not. Perhaps a visit to Kahan's
site (http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~wkahan/Math128/) will help you. Especially
the section "Plausible but spurious solutions due to roundoff" is quite an
eye opener.

Karl M. Syring