Java vs Python ... ???

Bertrand Geston bergeston at yahoo.fr
Fri Feb 15 07:53:02 EST 2002

Martin Roos <moro at dotcom.ee> wrote in message news:<3C6CAFF8.4D3B5092 at dotcom.ee>...
> Scirious wrote:
>
> > Dear friends;
> >
> > I've been learning JAVA for a while, but now I've heard avout Python.
> > Any coments concerning these two languages?
> >
> > TIA;
> > Scirious.
>
> java is powerful and quite fast with jit,
> python is more fun and slower ....
>
>  That's it ...
>
>  ps. java has more api's (till now)
>
> i like both of them ...
>  java is for serious kinda stuff , python is for testing etc.

I fully agree with that (but never had speed issues with Python), and
I would like to add:
- Java is for larges applications developed by teams, Python is for
your own needs, for prototyping (even new functionnalities in a Java
app with Jython and that's really cool)
- Java is probably easier to maintain, Java works on a kind of
platform which is robust, reliable, provide security facilities, ...
and Python is easy to extend, gives powerfull access to the system
(but, for obvious reasons, sometimes in a platform dependant way).
- Java documentation is better but Python is easier to try.
- ...

I like to see it like that (and I am kindly proud of my trademarked
metaphor :-):
               "Java is Lego, Python is Plasticine"

You know, Java is my wife and Python is my mistress. Don't ask me to
choose :-))

B.