Readline and unwanted filename completion

Simon Budig Simon.Budig at unix-ag.org
Thu Feb 7 08:33:01 EST 2002

Michael Hudson wrote:
> Simon Budig <simon.budig at unix-ag.org> writes:
> However, there may be people relying on current behaviour, and the
> motto of x.y.z releases is "nothing breaks".
>
> Also, to get it into 2.2.1 you have to convince the person putting
> patches into the 22-maint tree, and that currently seems to be me, and
> I'm not checking this one in.

Thanks for the PEP-Link. That made it more clear to me. I am not sure
what made me think that the patch would go into 2.1.x - Maybe it is
just me making the patch against 2.1.1...   :-)

When you put it into 2.3(\.[0-9)? I am perfectly happy. I have patched
my local 2.1.1 installation and am happy with it...  :-)

>> Imagine the rlcompleter: It is an convenient way to have completion
>> on the Python commandline. But if you start typing a name that is
>> not (yet) in the global dict and type <TAB> to verify this fact,
>> readline decides to complete with a filename, which is absolutely
>> meaningless in this context - AND YOU CANNOT SWITCH THIS OFF!
>
> It can be useful too; I have actually done

> and then used tab-completion to finish it off.

Oh well. Yeah, this can be useful. For the 2.3 release it should be
an optional parameter IMHO.

Thanks for your patience.

Bye,
	Simon