Python License Issues

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Thu Feb 14 20:34:34 EST 2002

[Simon Brunning]
> More importantly, good manners. Let's say I'm wrapping up a Python
> program with py2exe, and I'm going to distribute it. Which files would I
> be expected to include as a matter of courtesy to the Python developers
> (and the developers of any additional modules that I use)? Just the
> licence files, or is there anything else?

Each component's license should list its requirements, and if you do just
that much nobody can gripe.

Anything beyond that depends on the specific developers.  I'm generally
mildly annoyed when somebody gives me credit for my code, because I don't
want to endure Even More Email about it -- but then I'm older and grouchier
than anyone else you've ever met <wink>.

If you spontaneously feel compelled to add "Python Rulz!" to your own blurb,
that would be cool.  If you have to fake making it look spontaneous, it
starts to get questionable.

but-then-good-manners-often-are-ly y'rs  - tim