basic books/guides on multithreading programming?

Wesley J. Chun wesc at deirdre.org
Tue Feb 19 13:44:58 EST 2002

kp87 at lycos.com (kevin parks) wrote in message news:<5e8bd451.0202170443.7106633a at posting.google.com>...
> The Wesley Chun book on Python "Core Python" programming has a bit on this.

thx 4 the plug kevin!  :-) let me elaborate a little more tho.

the single chapter on Python MT programming was the 1st published
anything on Python threads, and since the main thrust of the book
is *core* python, i didn't spend adequate time on discussing
threading and concurrency issues.

rather, it is a gentle introduction for either: (1) someone who has
little or no threading experience, wanting a little background and
an intro on how do to it in Python, or (2) someone who already knows
Python and some threading, can skip the intro part and see little
snippets of code that do MT in Python so that they can quickly cut-n-
paste or otherwise adapt it to their application right away.

in addition to a kind-n-gentle intro to threads, the chapter goes
into the thread module (and why you should avoid it), some of the
useful things found in the threading module -- the one you *should*
use, a some info on the global interpreter lock (or Python Virtual
Machine), and how I/O-bound applications take more advantage of the
threading model than CPU-bound ones.

as far as books on threading go...

the java threads book is good to read just for information purposes.
i believe o'reilly also has a Pthreads book.  i got the most info
on locking in my graduate database class using this textbook:

http://dblp.uni-trier.de/db/books/dbtext/bernstein87.html

hope this helps!!

-wesley

"Core Python Programming", Prentice Hall PTR, © 2001
    http://starship.python.net/crew/wesc/cpp/

Silicon Valley-San Francisco Bay Area Python Users Group (BayPIGgies)
    http://deirdre.org/baypiggies

wesley.j.chun :: wesc at deirdre.org
cyberweb.consulting : henderson, nv : cyberweb_consulting at yahoo.com
http://roadkill.com/~wesc/cyberweb/