Python 2.2 on windows 98

Magnus Lyckå magnus at thinkware.se
Thu Feb 21 19:14:19 EST 2002

Steve Holden wrote:

> This is true to an extent. But certainly Marc Andre's modules do compile on
> cygwin - licensing conditions mean they can't be distributed in pre-compiled
> binary installable form. And MySQLdb also compiles. I'd like to see every
> Windows-capable module run under both: it turns out you don't usually have
> much to do to make the same extension install under Windows and cygwin.

And an advantage with cygwin is that it comes with a C compiler
etc etc. Not something every Windows Python programmer has this.
That certainly makes it more viable to distribute source.

But still, it is something of "a state in the state", and I would
rather see that I didn't have to require that my customers had to
install cygwin to use my products. It's bad enough if they have
to get Python... :-) (I guess I'd really prefer if the next version
of Windows was nothing more than a Window manager and some emulation
layers on top of linux! :-)

Personally, I'd feel very naked without grep, wc, find, gcc etc, but
I do use the windows installers and normal windows versions of Python
when I'm running windows. Actually, since someone in the wxPython list
showed how to enable auto-completion with [tab] in Windows 2000 cmd.exe
I hardly even use bash in windows...

Of course, it would be great if the windows installers for Python
modules said "I found ActivePython 2.1.1 and cygwin Python 2.1.2.
Do you want to install for ActivePython, cygwin, or both?" That is,
until Windows becomes a linux distribution. ;-)