OT again... is there an IMAP expert in the house?

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Tue Feb 5 08:29:43 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eduardo Chappa" <chappa at math.washington.edu>

> *** Chris Gonnerman (chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net) wrote in...:
>
> :) > This is not a problem about the protocol you are using to read your
> :) > folder. IMAP is the way that you communicate to the server. The way
> :) > that the mail is stored in the server is the relevant point here. For
> :) > example, the default for the UW server is unix, and unix (format)
> :) > does not allow concurrent access to a mailbox. If you use the UW
> :) > server, and you use mbx format, then you can have concurrent access
> :) > to your folders. Convert your folders to mbx format and you'll be
> :) > done.
> :)
> :) Tried that, didn't work.  I was using Netscape 4.75 as one client,
> :) Outlook Express as the other, and concurrent deletion (even with
> :) expunges) just didn't work.  Outlook Express never seemed to notice
> :) Netscape doing deletions, and I couldn't get Outlook Express to
> :) properly expunge without closing it.
>
> Just to be sure you did that. What are the first characters of the first
> line of the folder that you want to share?

Gah.  I didn't keep the files around, so I can't tell you for sure.  I did
look at them with vi after conversion and they definitely weren't Unix
mailboxes.

UW's documentation is weak in spots.  Assuming I could get it working, the
IMAP server would have to reside on a Win98 computer, and I have not been
able to find step-by-step instructions.

It would be easier for me if I had time to grok IMAP like I do SMTP and
POP3.
This is my first painful exposure.