Scripting C++ -- Boost.Python vs CORBA vs ???

rasmussn at lanl.gov rasmussn at lanl.gov
Thu Feb 21 12:01:19 EST 2002

On Wednesday, February 20, 2002, at 04:48 PM, David Abrahams wrote:

>> As I understand it, the SILOON project uses a commercial parser known as
>> PDT from uoregon.  Have you, or has anyone else had any experience with
>> the SILOON/PDT project?  On the face of it, my guess would be that you
>> would be somewhat skeptical of their claims?
>
> I haven't had any experience with it. I just found that site. My
> skepticism
> just dropped by a factor of 8. If they are really using the EDG front-end
> as
> they claim to, then I am sure the parser is excellent. I do have to wonder
> who is paying for the FE. The issues of dealing with the semantics of what
> they've parsed remain, but these guys at least seem to be doing the
> parsing
> part right.

It is my understanding that an educational or research license to the EDG
front end is fairly easy to obtain.  The University of Oregon has obtained
the right to distribute the EDG front-end as binaries and does so for
several
platforms in the Program Database Toolkit (PDT).  So for anyone wanting
interface level information from C++ or Fortran 90 source files, the PDT
is an excellent tool.  We use it in several projects.

See http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/research/paracomp/pdtoolkit/ and
http://www.acl.lanl.gov/siloon/ for more information.

Craig