Python vs. C/C++/Java: quantitative data ?

GerritM gmuller at worldonline.nl
Fri Feb 22 15:16:28 EST 2002

<usenet+no_spam (" Doug Bagley ") .2002-02-21-2623 @ (the) bagley . (not
.com) org (spam whammy)> schreef in bericht
news:m38z9m8wqh.fsf at ns.bagley.org...
> "GerritM" <gmuller at worldonline.nl> writes:
<...snip...>
> > It would be interesting to have some larger benchmark to compare
language
> > behavior when scaled up in size.
>
> I guess you mean "size of program". I do think that would be interesting.
> But I think that is not easy. Small programs may not be as meaningful,
> but they are certainly more tractable.
>
> Do you have a specific suggestion for a larger program to compare?
>
> cheers,
> doug
> --
> http://www.bagley.org/~doug/contact.shtml

maybe programming contest exercises such as:

http://cristal.inria.fr/ICFP2001/prog-contest/

or

http://contest.uvarov.ru/index.php?level=2&n=1&sn=1&lan=en

can be used. For benchmarking purposes I would remove the strict timing
constraints and strive for the "best" solution,
where "best" will probably be determined by the contributor(s)

For comparison of utilization level still other types of programs are
needed. In this type of comparison I expect even more discussion on the
"rules"; Are you allowed to use the plain language only, or also the
batteries which are included or everything on CPAN like archives; Are
packages which are used included in the line count; etcetera.

regards Gerrit
--
www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch