Newbie: Crazy, but Quick

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Feb 22 07:47:47 EST 2002

"Quinn Dunkan" <quinn at yak.ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in message
news:slrna7b9hr.6lj.quinn at yak.ugcs.caltech.edu...
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:35:44 -0800, Virginia O <vodine at direct.ca> wrote:
> >Thanks, but the database will have to hold sub-groups etc. It will be
easier
> >for me to enter and organize the items in a database.
> >I only gave the scenario as an example. The actual program will hold
> >hundreds of items.
>
> Hundreds is just fine for flat text.  If you have a few thousand and
you're
> modifying it a lot, then flat text will start being clunky.
>
> In that case, shelve should work fine, especially for complicated data
> structures since you can dump python types directly, with no clunky
converting
> to/from some format SQL likes.  And it's much simpler to have everything
in
> python instead of a whole other database program with its own language,
etc.

If you really need relational, Gadfly has the advantage that it's pure
Python, although there are some SQL features (notably NULL values) that it
doesn't implement.

It used to warn about the regex module, but there are now updated
implementations available that don't suffer from that restriction.

regards
 Steve
--
Consulting, training, speaking: http://www.holdenweb.com/
Author, Python Web Programming: http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/

"This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it
intersects with useful practice."  Aahz Maruch on c.l.py