Defending the Python lanuage...

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 1 18:15:12 EST 2002

On Fri, 01 Feb 2002 23:53:50 +0100
Anton Vredegoor wrote:

> Sometimes this X is: 'It should be ready next friday'. So there's no
> time to invest in changing programming language now, even if it would
> be be a good long term choice.
>
> There seems to be no opportunity to introduce a change since the work
> must go on.
>
> How to handle this kind of resistance?

I think that reality is the determining factor in this case ;)  The things
we are talking about are long-term benefits of adopting new technologies.
Just because a technology would be beneficial doesn't mean you have to
adopt it before you go on lunch break today.

However, since you brought it up: _after_ Friday (assuming the release date
was met) and _before_ another specification and release date are set for a
new version, it would be worthwhile to evaluate other options _if_ it is
felt that making such a major change would be beneficial in the long term.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)

"Then with your new power you'll accomplish all sorts of cool stuff
 in no time, and We'll All Be Sorry.  At that point you can either
 gloat a bit, and then relent, or go ahead and send the robot army
 after us." - Quinn Dunkan