Deitel and Deitel Book...

Dennis Roark denro at NSPAMearthlink.net
Thu Feb 28 16:23:24 EST 2002

Alex Russell <alex at netWindows.org> wrote in
news:20020227163411.71b4b4d8.alex at netWindows.org:

> I'm glad they (apparently) got one right.
>
> I was required to purchase their Java book for a class, and not only
> was it poorly laid out, poorly executed, badly typeset, and cheaply
> made, it's index was utterly useless. Their C++ book wasn't much
> better. A friend had it laying about his place day and I spent some
> time looking through it, and after comparing it to Lippman/Lajoie,
> it's clear that it makes better tinder than a programming reference.
>
> Stear clear of those two if you're thinking about picking them up on
> the strength of their Python book.

I am afraid I have to agree more with Alex's cautionary comments than
with Ron's strong praise.  I know these authors have the most popular
college C++ text out there, but it always seemed like a C book with
Objects added on as an after thought.  I stay with other texts when I
teach C++.  The Python book appears substantially based on the templates
of their previous books.  IMHO, not the quality nor the enjoyment of
Mark Lutz, Programming Python, 2nd ed., or even of the relatively short
tutorial in Steve Holden's Python Web Programming.  That the D & D book
came out in Python was more of an indication of Python going mainstream,
and for that I celebrate it.

--
Dennis Roark

denro at earthlink.net