Stackless Platform Independence?

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Fri Feb 22 23:37:53 EST 2002

>I am personally still surprised that stackless has not be considered more
>seriously in the python-dev group, especially in regard to the threading
>problems and limitations of the current python versions.

Well, keep in mind that stackless threads aren't OS threads at all.

The way I have it, Stackless _was_ considered by Guido and team,
it was just regarded as both too dirivative and too complicated to
make part of core Python. Look out in the real world and try to
find out how many languages have continuation support in them.
Not very many.

I personally make great use of continuations in a simulator core
I wrote. While I grok them, I have the feeling that an average
programmer following in my footsteps would have to read my
comments very very carefully before he could come to understand
how a certain central function call in my simulator actually
returns millions of times.

That's a real mind bender. :-)

C//