Saving Browser State without Cookies

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Feb 7 09:51:53 EST 2002

"Orr, Steve" <sorr at rightnow.com> wrote in message
> Python Newbie here.
>
> I need to migrate a web application from PHP to Python and I have a
> requirement to save state info WITHOUT using cookies where much of the
state
> data MUST not be visible to the end users. The PHP application allows
users
> to logon to one of several databases using any of a number of Oracle
> user/passwords. The logon info needs to be saved for queries on other
pages
> in the app. With PHP it's easy to avoid cookies by saving this info using
> its session handling functions. Is there an EASY way to do this in Python
> without having to adopt the Mother of all frameworks?

Disclaimer: I have never used PHP.

However, *if* PHP allows you to associate requests with session state, then
*either*:

a) it does use cookies, you just don't know about them, or
b) it puts session references in the URL.

There simply isn't any other available mechanism. So maybe what you're
looking for is an interface that hides the cookie implementation from the
programmer?

regards
 Steve
--
Consulting, training, speaking: http://www.holdenweb.com/
Author, Python Web Programming: http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/

"This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it
intersects with useful practice."  Aahz Maruch on c.l.py