python and windows short file names

Tarle savithari at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 4 22:52:49 EST 2002

Hello All,
                I think this question must have been asked a lot of
times before.  I could not find in the searches I did.

I want to be able to use java to python ( thru jython is fine) to be
able to manipulate the full file name and the long dir structures etc.,

I would like to be able short file names and other useful file i/o's
including ability to delete directory, create directory, rename, move
etc., etc.,

How can I accomplish this without COMMERCIAL SOFTWARE ?

Thanks for your help.

-Narahari.