pygame puzzler

Gil gjlap at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 18:04:21 EST 2002

Pete Shinners <shredwheat at attbi.com> wrote in message news:<3C77DDD9.8020507 at attbi.com>...
> the mixer module in pygame is also optional. that means pygame can build
> and install without it. pygame comes with a "config.py" script, and if
> it cannot find the SDL_mixer library, it disables the pygame.mixer
> module. the first thing to check is the "Setup" file. this is a simple
> text file created by the config, it stores the compile settings. open
> the file and first check to see if there are compile flags for the
> "MIXER" variable. once that seems reasonable, scroll down to the next
> section which lists the optional modules. make sure the line for "mixer"
> is not commented out. (uncomment "mixer_music" too)

Setup file OK

[caltrop at localhost pygame-1.4]$ locate mixer.so
/usr/local/lib/libSDL_mixer.so/

> if the Setup file is now looking correct. rerun the "setup.py" which
> will get your installation up to date. as long as it doesn't error out,
> i'm certain the mixer module will be installed. if the setup.py runs

copying build/lib.linux-i586-2.2/pygame/mixer.so ->
/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/pygame

> cleanly and it still doesn't work, i'm guessing it might have something
> to do with mismatched python versions?

[caltrop at localhost examples]$ python sound.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "sound.py", line 10, in ?
    import pygame.mixer, pygame.time
ImportError: libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0: cannot load shared object file: No
such file or directory

Square 1.

re: versions of python, in #pygame I mentioned that v1.5 went in with
my original install of RedHat7.1, and then I added v2.2 and you(I
think it was you as ShredWheat) told me how to link the newer version
so now I get:

[caltrop at localhost examples]$ python
Python 2.2 (#1, Feb  7 2002, 20:05:27)
[GCC 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-81)] on linux2

I had a similar problem with the font module(ImportError...no such
file) until I moved libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0 to /usr/local/lib, but this
time libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0 doesn't have that problem.

Any other suggestions?

-Gil(caltrop)