[Slightly-OT] Wasn't Google supposed to be "avid Python-Users" ?

dman dsh8290 at rit.edu
Thu Feb 7 18:11:55 EST 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 11:40:18PM +0100, Boris^2 wrote:
| Robin Becker wrote:
| >
| > I think there are good compilers for lisp which can be a very dynamic
| > language so in principle it's not the dynamic nature of python that
| > prevents native compilation.
|
| Wouldn't a first step be optional type declarations ?

That was already answered in this thread, and it is "no".  Given the
quoted text, the answer would be "no" -- lisp doesn't have type
declarations, yet it can be fast.  The trick is
    1)  figuring out exactly _what_ causes python to be "slow"
    2)  spending the time to work out an implementation that isn't
        (as) slow, without changing the language at all

The second point is currently the major stumbling block.

-D

--

A man of many companions may come to ruin,
but there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.