Coming of age...

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Tue Feb 12 06:17:00 EST 2002

On 12 Feb 2002, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Another interesting thing the other day is that on comp.object someone
> was asking which language they should try to experiment with OO, and
> there came lots of suggestions to use Ruby (Python was in there, but Ruby was
> mentioned a *lot*). Seems that language has been crossing a barrier
> as well recently.

My take: Ruby turns out to be a language of refuge for escapees from Perl
who can't cope with white-space significance (more of them than not, I
expect).

Perl of course has a much larger userbase than Python, let alone Ruby, so
even a small leakage from the Perl community would be a flood to lesser
userbases.

Disclaimer: I've never used either Perl or Ruby; this is my interpretation
of a multitude of comments I've read.

FWIW...

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616