[Python-Dev] PEP 282: A Logging System -- comments please

Michael McLay mclay at nist.gov
Fri Feb 15 21:43:33 EST 2002

On Friday 15 February 2002 07:43 pm, Trent Mick wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I would appreciate any comments you might have on this proposal for adding
> a logging system to the Python Standard Library. This PEP is still an early
> draft so please forward your comments just to me directly for now.

I scanned the PEP and didn't find a reference to the logging package
supporting logging over a network.

> Influences
>
>     This proposal was put together after having somewhat studied the
>     following logging packages:
>
>         o java.util.logging in JDK 1.4 (a.k.a. JSR047) [1]
>         o log4j [2]
>           These two systems are *very* similar.
>         o the Syslog package from the Protomatter project [3]
>         o MAL's mx.Log package [4]
>
>     This proposal will basically look like java.util.logging with a
>     smattering of log4j.

Marshal Rose submitted RFC3195[1] to the IETF for a syslog protocol.  The
specification is defined as a profile on top of the BEEP framework.  The
format of the messages are encoded in XML. Here is an example of an "entry"
element.

     C: <entry facility='8' severity='6'
      C:   hostname='pipeworks'
      C:   timestamp='Oct 31 23:59:59'