PEP 263 comments

Jason Orendorff jason at jorendorff.com
Tue Feb 26 17:14:34 EST 2002

Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> To make some progress on PEP 263, I suggest that some of the open issues
> are resolved as follows:

Counter-proposal:

 - Comment syntax: none.
 - UTF-8 file signature: not supported.
 - Python source code encoding: must always be UTF-8.
 - Implementation: within the parser, everything's just
   ordinary UTF-8 bytes.
 - IDLE: always save UTF-8 unless otherwise directed.

Advantage: simple, universal, easy, similar to what Java does.
No confusion about embedded 0x22 bytes in strings.  Also,
stylistically I prefer not to have a document specify its own
encoding, or for comments to affect the meaning of a source
file.

I think this is better than PEP 263, but PEP 263 is better
than nothing.

## Jason Orendorff    http://www.jorendorff.com/