advocacy help ( Python vs VB )

Peter Milliken peter.milliken at gtech.com
Tue Feb 26 16:30:41 EST 2002

Getting past the 'well I can just go an hire VB programmers.....' is a tough
one, I have seen a similar argument used in a company for moving to C++ :-).
So you need to present a business case - something that most managers *can*
understand :-). Business cases are tough in the sense that bottom line is
what they are interested in, so suggestions for putting one together is:

1. Convince a co-worker about the benefits of Python and *measure* the time
spent learning to produce usable output;

2. Try (somehow :-)) to show that Python development is cheaper than the
equivalent in VB - this would ideally mean that you and a co-worker develop
the same application (assuming you are equivalent in skill! :-)) in Python
and VB gathering metrics (development time primary but also metrics on bugs,
testing etc etc) along the way;

3. Take Andy's suggestion and show how migration to Python could be achieved
whilst still using VB :-)

Assuming that all of these efforts result in a positive case for Python
(anyone measured Python vs VB? :-)) then it shouldn't be too hard from then
on (other than the programmers who don't want to switch, but point 3 should
cater for that situation - although managers can see loads of mine fields in
supporting APs written in two different languages :-)).

I just checked the "Programming Language Levels and Ranges of Source Code
Statements per Function Point" Table in Capers Jones book "Applied Software
Measurement" (2nd edition) and got the following data:

Visual Basic 2   35loc/FP  Level 9.0
Visual Basic 3   32loc/FP  Level 10.0
Perl  27loc/FP  Level 12.0

Unfortunately I couldn't find Python in the table but the figures for Perl
is probably close enough. So assuming that these average figures are correct
and that there is a 1:1 relationship between Perl and Python (I assume
Python would be higher!) then using Python should show approximately a (32 -
27) / 32 * 100 = 16% productivity improvement - hardly earth shattering! :-)
But since Python is better than Perl perhaps we could expect about 25%
???????

Goodluck,
Peter

"Stefan Kuzminski" <SKuzminski at FairIsaac.com> wrote in message
> I suppose the fact that I get 20 emails in response to this question is a
> sign, I know you couldn't get 20 positive third party comparisions of VB
> Python.  I've tried to sell Python in several organizations over the last
> few years with varying degrees of success.  The *key* sticking point
 other
> than general fear of the unknown ) is enevitably the 'well I can just go
an
> hire VB programmers but nobody knows this Python thing'.  Which of course
is
> absurd since the python learning curve is so small.  But the managers
aren't
> in any position to relate since all they control are resources with
resumes
> that say VB, C++ or Java...  ~sigh~  So my strategy so far has to been to
> build the thing without ever mentioning Python until it's done..
>
> Stefan

VB