Why Python is like BASIC ... java "vs" python

john coppola john_coppola_r_s at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 15 21:23:29 EST 2002

OK fellas, I'm gonna break it down for you.  Python is
nothing like BASIC or perl.  Neither is Java like C++.
 I will admit that I used BASIC.  A friend turned me
on to Python.  I never looked back.  You cannot
compare things on basis of how they appear or the
syntax of the language or certain similarities.  You
have to know what problem the language is trying to
solve.  What is its philosophy.

When I look at a string in java I view it in a
completely differently way than I do a Basic string or
a string in C++. Every language is useful at
something.  Cobol is great at file extraction on IBM
mainframes using JCL batch jobs.  Use it for anything
else and it is completely inadequate.  I fully
understand the philosophy of Cobol and know what it
was useful for and the problem the language was
attempting to solve.

You will begin to see that basic and python are
nothing alike even though they are both interpreted.
In what way is basic interpreted.  In what way is perl
interpreted?  Thats like saying a fish is a whale
because they both swim in water.  Java is not at all
similar to C++.  Different.

Sorry to be so harsh.  Long day..

-john