ANN: EasyGui - basic, easy-to-use GUI functions

Stephen Ferg steve at ferg.org
Wed Feb 13 13:21:26 EST 2002

I'm working on something that I call EasyGui.  It is still very much
in the roughing-out stage, and I wouldn't announce it except for the
fact that I've seen a couple of questions posted, to which EasyGui
might be the answer.

Here is a bit of a write-up...

subject : EASYGUI -- Simple GUI functions for Python
version : 0.1  2002-02-01
author  : Stephen Ferg (steve at ferg.org)
location: http://www.ferg.org/easgui/index.html

INTRODUCTION

It is important for Python to support GUI operations that are very
simple and easy to use.  Experienced Pythonistas need support for
quick and dirty GUI features. New Python programmers need GUI
capabilities that don't require any knowledge of tkinter, frames,
widgets, callbacks or lambda.

In short, Python should make sending a message to the screen as simple
as:

	msgbox("Hello, world!")

This is what EasyGui provides.  Using EasyGui, all GUI interactions
are invoked by simple function calls.

The purpose of EasyGui is to provide a small set of very simple
functions that can support basic GUI programming needs.  Use it until
you can acquire the skill or the time to use something more powerful.
When EasyGui runs out of steam for you, then you can move up to
tkinter, wxWindows, etc.

I think that if Python is really going to support CP4E (Computer
Programming for Everybody), then something like EasyGui should become
part of the standard distribution.  But for now, the first order of
business is to polish the rough edges.

EasyGui was developed by me, Steve Ferg.  I hope you will find it
useful.

I'm still a newbie Pythonista myself, so I welcome suggestions for
improvement -- especially if they come in the form of working code
snippets!

-- Steve Ferg (Steve at Ferg.org)