help: Problem with cgi form

Flavian Hardcastle deathtospam43423 at altavista.com
Sat Feb 23 02:33:42 EST 2002

Gustavo Cordova <gcordova at hebmex.com> wrote in
news:mailman.1014420097.13372.python-list at python.org:

>> I'm a beginner. How do I do this? It's probly very simple ......
>>
>> I have a hidden input on a cgi form...
>>
>>     print '<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME= "last_pos"
>> VALUE=',last_byte_pos,'>'
>>
>> I need the VALUE to be the  variable "last_byte_pos", but
>> unfortunately when I run the script for the first time the script
>> crashes because it's
>> undeclared.
>>
>> What subroutine do I use to check if last_byte_pos is undeclared, and
>> assign it a default value if it is?
>>

> How can you not know if "last_byte_pos" is undeclared?
> Have you assigned any values to it previously?
> no?
>
> then it's undeclared.
>
> -gus
I know when it's undeclared ... whenever a user first tries to access the
form, it is undeclared. What I want to know is how to get the script to
check whether this value has not been declared yet.

--
"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether
a man is wise by his questions."  Naguib Mahfouz

netvegetable at dingoblue.net.au