VB code -> Python

Jimmy Retzlaff jimmy at retzlaff.com
Fri Feb 15 11:45:42 EST 2002

>    Set oContext = GetObjectContext
>    Err.Clear
>    Set oUser = GetObject("WinNT://" & CStr(Domain) & "/" &
CStr(UserID))
>    If Err = 0 Then
>        For Each oGroup In oUser.Groups
>            If UCase(Groupname) = UCase(oGroup.Name) Then
>                MemberofGroup = True
>                'Exit Function
>                Exit For
>            End If
>        Next
>        oContext.SetComplete
>    Else
>        oContext.SetAbort
>        MemberofGroup = False
>    End If
>
>So my questin is how do I translate the GetObject(...) thing in to
>Python code.

Here is a version in Python, using your same variable names, etc.:

import win32com.client

def MemberofGroup(Domain, UserID, Groupname):
    try:
        oUser = win32com.client.GetObject(r'WinNT://%s/%s' % (Domain,
UserID))
    except:
        return 0

    for oGroup in oUser.Groups():
        if Groupname.upper() == oGroup.Name.upper():
            return 1

print MemberofGroup(Domain='CoolDomain', UserID='Cool Guy',
Groupname='Domain Users')

Jimmy