Python vs. Ruby

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Tue Dec 31 19:11:36 EST 2002

"Fred" <fred_news at lrc.puissante.com> wrote in message
news:_YhQ9.391356$GR5.119074 at rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net...
> Hello all.
>
> I know Python and have come to love it very much. Nearly all of my
> scripting tasks with large databases are written in it.
>
> My question is this -- what are the qualitative differences between
> Python and Ruby? Does Ruby has any strengths, either in the language
> itself or its available libraries, that are better than Python? Or are
> they pretty much even?
>
> Also, on the issue of threading -- does Ruby have better support for
> threading than Python? Or are they pretty much equal?
>
> Thanks in advance for all of your responses.

[sarcasm]
Ruby, of course, has brackets for code blocks which seems
to be a nicety that Python missed.
[/sarcasm]

It also has a solution to one of the ugliest warts in Python:
the fact that the .append(), .sort() and .reverse() methods
don't return an updated value, so you can't chain them.

The rest of the differences other people have pointed out
(other than the size of the library) are, to me, relatively
minor.

John Roth