Explicit Frustration of the Self

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Dec 31 22:55:16 EST 2002

Bengt Richter wrote:

> Someone proposed just a bare leading dot or invisible self name.
>
>   class Foo:
>       bar = 123
>       def baz(,arg):
>           .arg = arg
>           return .bar+arg
>
> It's less typing anyway. That's a plus for me.

Yeah, the prefixed dot has been suggested before.  I'm for the status
quo on this issue myself, but of the suggestions, at least this one
seems to be the one thought all the way through.

The basic, "I don't like having to keep writing self, why not just make
it implicit" doesn't get very far in the face of bound vs. unbound
methods, etc.

/  \ Did you ever love somebody / Did you ever really care
\__/ Cassandra Wilson
    The laws list / http://www.alcyone.com/max/physics/laws/
 Laws, rules, principles, effects, paradoxes, etc. in physics.