opening a text document to show a .txt file throughabrowserlink

Bjorn Pettersen BPettersen at NAREX.com
Tue Dec 31 19:14:40 EST 2002

> From: Cliff Wells [mailto:LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net]
[...]
> Anyway, if you want to get the last word in, go ahead as we
> both must be getting tired of this rather pointless and OT
> thread anyway.

That is a really poor attitude. As I see it it's pretty clear, programs
are programs, and data is data; how can anyone argue that data is
programs? I mean it's pretty obvious that HTML and XML aren't
programming languages, since they contain the word "Markup" and not
"Programming". That's about as clear as it can get. Similarly LISP and
Scheme aren't programming languages since we all know that "programs" in
those languages are simply data with a markup that's even simpler than
XML. For some reason LISP/Scheme programmers seem to be proud of this
fact... I'm sure that if they were Real Programmers(tm) they'd hang
their collective heads in shame!

Of course, Prolog, Mercury, and SQL aren't programming languages since
they're declarative (not imperative). Similarly Lambda-calculus is not a
programming language since it is functional. Postscript, TeX, and Latex
aren't programming languages since they're used to display data (and we
know we can do that with an editor). Python, Ruby, Perl, and Java aren't
programming languages since they aren't compiled to machine code. Lex
and Yacc aren't programming languages since they don't even have loops.
Logo and Pascal are, of course, only toys, not Real programming
languages. Finally: SML, Haskell, Dylan, Id, etc. aren't programming
languages since Real Programmers(tm) don't program in weird languages
like that. That leaves only C, Intercal, and assembler as real
programming languages -- which just happens to be the programming
languages I know, so you know that I'm a Real Programmer(tm), and not
some hyped up secretary typing documents in a "Markup Language"!

I mean, just think of it. I spent many years getting my MS in Computer
Science (on Programming Languages no less, so I know what I'm talking
about). How do you think it would make me feel if we'd let any script
kiddie that's spent two days learning to write HTML call themself a
programmer? Please, stop the insanity!

-- bjorn
(for the impared: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=irony).