opening a text document to show a .txt file through abrowserlink

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Tue Dec 31 17:06:39 EST 2002

> > Write an HTML program that computes the square of a number that it
> > receives as input.
>
> Do the same with a bash shell script.  Then explain to me how the
dozens
> of system maintenence scripts I have on my system aren't programs.

let z=$1*$1
echo "The square of $1 is $z"

Bash script is definitely a programming language because it is Turing
complete. HTML does not satisfy ANY of the conditions of
Turing-completeness. I am not going to get into the "does it have to be
Turing complete to be a programming language debate" :-) Intuitively
though, HTML is not a programming language.

Cheers,
Brian