automating email responses with python

Sandy Norton sandskyfly at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 8 01:05:32 EST 2002

Hi folks,

I have a terrible problem responding to emails in the 'expected' time
frame. I think I'm always late (whatever that means) and I usually
have to apologize for responding non-immediately. So... I've been
thinking about an application, written in python of course, that would
preprocess one's emails and do some of the work that one usually does
prior to responding.

Here is a silly example:

I receive an email that is essentially a request for a document of
some sort... my preprocessor somehow understands this and parses the
email to a set of elements (one of which is a document), it
preemptively searches my harddrive for the document and then composes
an appropriate response with the assumed document as an attachment. I
then accept the respone as is, or do a minor tweak to make it
suitable.

Is this a something that can be addressed with software, or should I
just focus on my response time...

cheers to all,

Sandy