Problems with Python 2.2.2 install on Linux

Sheila King usenet at thinkspot.net
Thu Dec 19 18:19:49 EST 2002

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 12:07:38 -0800, Chad Netzer <cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov>
wrote in comp.lang.python in article
<mailman.1040328567.25812.python-list at python.org>:

> On Wednesday 18 December 2002 22:47, Sheila King wrote:
> > OK, I decided to try and install Python from source on Linux
> > again. (This would be the third or fourth time in two years.)
>
> What distribution and version of Linux are you installing on?  (ie.
> Redhat 7.2, Debian 3.0, etc.)  This information will greatly
> improve are ability to provide specific help about building (mainly
> because it can tell us what external libraries are expected to be
> available to you).

Thanks, Chad, for the nudge.

This server is running a core based on RH 6.2, although it is by no means a
default install. It has been rather massaged. Linux kernel is 2.4.19.

> > What is the benefit of installing so that Python is built with
> > shared libraries? Are there any disadvantages to building with
> > shared libraries?
>
> The main advantage is the executable size will be smaller when it
> is built with shared libraries, and use less memory when executing.
>  This is because, when multiple programs use a shared library, the
> library only exists once in memory, whereas with static linking,
> that code will exist separately in each programs memory space.
> There are related benefits to this, such as possibly faster startup
> times.

That sounds interesting. Maybe next time I try the install routine, I will
run it with the *shared* option, as less disk and memory space is
definitely appealing to me.

> So, for the next round of questions, provide your linux
> distribution (and glibc version if you know it), and machine type
> if it is not a Intel-based system.

Machine is Intel based. PIII, I believe.

glibc-2.1.3, or to be more precise:
 RedHat version 2.1.3-28

> > I am installing this on a Virtual host account on a
> > shared/community web hosting server.
>
> Judging from that fact, and the 'make tests' summary you posted,
> the build doesn't seem too out-of-line.  The provider probably
> doesn't provide all the libraries and services you need to support
> all the modules in the default build.  Could you put your
> /Modules/Setup on a website, where we could give feedback on what
> to disable?  You need to ensure that the features you enabled are
> allowed and installed on the system you are building on.

I've posted my latest version of the /Modules/Setup file here:
http://mathxy.com/Setup.txt

With the /Modules/Setup file shown above, I got the following make test
results:

174 tests OK.
1 test failed:
    test_largefile
18 tests skipped:
    test_al test_cd test_cl test_curses test_dl test_email_codecs
    test_gl test_imgfile test_linuxaudiodev test_minidom test_nis
    test_pyexpat test_sax test_socket_ssl test_socketserver
    test_sunaudiodev test_winreg test_winsound
4 skips unexpected on linux2:
    test_minidom test_linuxaudiodev test_pyexpat test_sax
make: *** [test] Error 1

I don't care about the linuxaudiodev file, but I would like to get the
largefile test and the XML type of libraries to work. :/

Also, I would like to get sockets working with SSL support.

Earlier, I tried the following in the /Modules/Setup file:

# for socket(2), without SSL support.
#_socket socketmodule.c

# Socket module compiled with SSL support; you must comment out the other
# socket line above, and possibly edit the SSL variable:
SSL=/usr/local/ssl
_socket socketmodule.c \
	-DUSE_SSL -I$(SSL)/include -I$(SSL)/include/openssl \
	-L$(SSL)/lib -lssl -lcrypto

But the above wouldn't work (gave horrible error messages and wouldn't even
produce a python executable. It really is a puzzlement, too, because we do
have the files and directories referenced on the machine (i.e.
/usr/local/ssl exists, as does /usr/local/ssl/include and
/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl and /usr/local/ssl/lib )

When I execute the version command for openssl I get this response from the
server:
OpenSSL 0.9.6e [engine] 30 Jul 2002

Any suggestions, ideas or tips would be much appreciated.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/