Python vs Java garbage collection?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Dec 23 06:38:28 EST 2002

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> It *is* difficult to predict the future. Jython may become irrelevant,
> or Java may grow an extension to invoke finalizers as soon as the
> object
> becomes unreachable.

If Jython becomes irrelevant or Java changes their finalizers and those
changes become widespread such that the Python documentation changes the
unspecified clause to a guarantee of immediate finalization, then I
would change my recommendation.

> I completely understand, and I think you are wrong. You don't need
> further safeguards; the ones you have are sufficient, atleast for some
> (the majority?) of the application.

_If you're using CPython_.  If you're not, then they're not.  If general
Python -- not just CPython -- portability is a concern, then this in my
opinion is bad advice.

/  \ The only completely consistent people are the dead.
\__/ Aldous Huxley
    Rules for Buh / http://www.alcyone.com/max/projects/cards/buh.html
 The official rules to the betting card game, Buh.