best way to access ms sql server?

Thu Dec 5 12:27:40 EST 2002

Randall Smith wrote:
 > what is the best way to access microsoft's sql server with Python?

I've always liked mxODBC. You do have to pay (for commercial use),
but the code is almost entirely reliable and well worth the
smallish price.  This will allow you access to any database you can
create an ODBC connection to, and give you the greatest chance of
implementing a DB-agile application.

Note: that is only a _chance_ of agility; it is tough to make much
of anything portable across a selection of databases, in part
because SQL is more of a design doc than language spec.

I've used it to implement DB access to a large DB that require
minimal changes as we switched from DB2 to MS-Sql Server to Postgres.

Check out:
	http://www.lemburg.com/files/python/mxODBC.html

-Scott David Daniels (no affiliation except as a satisfied customer)