Python 2.2.2 breaks on WinXP after uninstalling Ruby

Danny db020610 at datateamsys.com
Mon Dec 23 12:38:36 EST 2002

I've been running Python 2.2.2 on Windows XP for a couple weeks now and
enjoying it.  I uninstalled another programming language Ruby, and now my
Python GUI will no longer work.  The command line python works, but not the
GUI.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Python with no luck.

Under MyComputer I've looked at the environment variables.  There is one
called TCL_LIBRARY.  It is set to...

   c:\progra~1\ruby\tcl\lib\tcl8.3

I've tried removing it.  I've tried changing the path to things like...

   c:\progra~1\python22\tcl
   c:\progra~1\python22\tcl\tcl8.3
   etc.

Each time, uninstalling and re-installing.  I've tried installing Python
into the default c:\Python22 instead of under Program Files.  No luck.

Finally, I've re-installed Ruby which seems to fix things.  This is bad.  I
want to eventually distribute python programs packaged with nice installers.
I obviously don't understand something that is going on here that can break
Python.

Background:   I'm fairly new to Python.  I've been programming for many
years.  I'm not an expert on Windows.

Danny