Any Python code for CD-R writing on a Windows box?

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Sun Dec 1 10:03:37 EST 2002

David Lees wrote:
> It would be neat to write short python programs for selectively writing
> files onto my CD-RW drive for backups on my Win98 box.  Is there any
> Python code for writing a file or directory onto a CD-R disc?

os.system("mkisofs ....")
os.system("cdrecord ...")

You'd need the Windows versions of these command-line utilities.

cdrecord seems to be available at
ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/alpha/win32/ and you should
be able to just compile mkisofs using Cygwin.

I've also heard that "Nero Burning ROM" has a command-line interface
that you could use alternatively, while other CD-burning programs are
missing any scriptability. At least a friend who once implemented
CD-burning via Python on Windows told me so.

-- Gerhard