PEP 303: Extend divmod() for Multiple Divisors

Thomas Bellman bellman at lysator.liu.se
Tue Dec 31 13:03:34 EST 2002

Martin v. Löwis <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> I like it; it looks like a straight-forward extension to me (although
> the description is confusing to read - it is not immediately clear why
> starting with the right-most divisor is the right thing).

Thanks.  I agree that the description is a bit dense and difficult
to follow.  If anyone have suggestions on how to describe it more
clearly, I am eager to hear them.

I was hoping that the reason for the order of the divisors was
made clear in the Rationale section.  Basically, the order just
*felt* right when using it.  divmod(seconds, 7, 24, 60, 60)
came more naturaly to me than divmod(seconds, 60, 60, 24, 7).

--
Thomas Bellman,   Lysator Computer Club,   Linköping University,  Sweden
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end ! bellman @ lysator.liu.se