Python vs Java garbage collection?

Robert Oschler Oschler at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 21 16:19:19 EST 2002

This is a very unscientific observation I have here, in the sense that I've
done no formal research, but in my web and newsgroup perusals, I seem to
have come across quite a few mentions of problems with Java applications in
regards to untimely garbage collection and memory "hogging".  Yet I have
come across very few of the same complaints with Python.

Is there a fundamental structural reason for this or is it simply anecdotal
coincidence or due to the kind of apps written with either language.  I'm
not knocking Java, it's a fine language and it's been put to good use
although admittedly I'm biased towards Python.

thx