HELP! Must choose language!

DP pennedinil at excite.com
Mon Dec 30 09:37:34 EST 2002

Perhaps I missed it, but did anyone suggest Ruby? Some similarity to Python,
especially in terms of clarity of code, and my experience suggests it'll be
quick to learn. Available on Mac too. Good docs & support, not as expansive
as Python, but since you only want to learn, it's worth considering.

An interpreted language is definitely a huge learning plus. And the focus
ought to be on learning, with less time spent on semantics, more on
concepts.

And then there's OCaml. see http://caml.inria.fr/FAQ/general-eng.html. I've
heard good things, but don't really know it. I didn't pursue it because I
found the semantics "different" from anything else I have used. But you
probably don't suffer from this baggage. And I think that is indeed rare for
anyone on this list.

Also, if you're more of a math student than Comp Sci, look into R. It's a
beauty.

Anyway, this thread has more suggestions than you probably have time.

All the best.

news:20021229230751.24148.00000389 at mb-bj.aol.com...