Python as a substitute of VBA?

Jordi jordi_yc at lycos.es
Fri Dec 20 14:50:06 EST 2002

Cameron Laird wrote:

>In article <mailman.1040396247.28545.python-list at python.org>,
>Jordi  <jordi_yc at lycos.es> wrote:
>

><snip>
>

>It's good you say that; to my ears, at least, it
>makes a different impression than your first post
>which focused on Access and VBA.  The answer is,
>I think, "Yes", even more so.  You're working
>against an SQL Server instance?  Not only can you
>reasonably develop a GUI for that using Zope, you
>are free to choose to host Zope on the same machine
>as handles SQL Server, or a different one
>
>You should expect to be successful at reusing your
>current work, while enhancing the portability of
>the front end

That is exactly the idea, but how do I access or use the code written in
python? The first stage, imo, would be to refactor the current classes
written in VBA, but it seems that in order to use python classes within
Access, I should according to the win32com:

* Check for Unicode concessions
* Annotate the class with win32com specific attributes
* Resgistering and assigning a CLSID for the object

Is there a better way to accomplish this? Otherwise, this scenario seems
overkilling.

Initially, I was looking into a local solution, but it is possible to
use Zope as a COM Server? Am I out of line?

Any comments?

TIA