hidden attributes

Michele Simionato mis6 at pitt.edu
Tue Dec 17 14:04:30 EST 2002

I've just discovered that the attribute __name__ is hidden i.e.
not shown by dir:

>>> class C: pass
>>> C.__name__
'C'
>>> dir(C)
['__doc__', '__module__'] # __name__ is not shown
>>> help(dir)
Help on built-in function dir:

dir(...)
    dir([object]) -> list of strings

    Return an alphabetized list of names comprising (some of) the attributes
                                                     ^^^^^^^
    of the given object, and of attributes reachable from it:

    No argument:  the names in the current scope.
    Module object:  the module attributes.
    Type or class object:  its attributes, and recursively the attributes of
        its bases.
    Otherwise:  its attributes, its class's attributes, and recursively the
        attributes of its class's base classes.

Why __name__ is hidden and how do I discover if there other hidden
attributes I don't know about ?

--
Michele Simionato - Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
210 Allen Hall Pittsburgh PA 15260 U.S.A.