Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Mon Dec 2 06:02:50 EST 2002

Terry Hancock <hancock at anansispaceworks.com> writes:

> In short, if I had to use Emacs to do my work, I think I'd find
> another job.

You really puzzle me:

> Just give me something simple and controllable.

Emacs for example ...

> I don't like remembering things about editors -- I have more
> important things to use those grey cells for, and the fact is, I
> type fast enough that I really don't care about fancy commands.  If
> I want indenting, I just use the darn tab key or spacebar.

> Want to select a block of text? Use the mouse!  I spend more time
> thinking about and testing code than typing it, so what does it
> matter?  It would take me longer to remember the "right" way than it
> does to just make the changes I want, and this way my head's not
> cluttered up thinking about the editor.

I can't find anything in what you wrote, that suggests that Emacs
would be unsuitable. Just take a vanilla Emacs out of the box and
start typing. Just because there is immense power at your fingertips
waiting to be unleashed on making your life easier, doesn't mean that
you have to use it. This is just as true of Emacs as it is of vim,
which you claim to use.

> If I want to indent a block, I use vim's sed-like commands.

Now you're contradicting your earlier claim that you don't want to
remember anything about your editor.