opening a text document to show a .txt file through a browser link

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Dec 30 15:58:23 EST 2002

Nico Schuyt wrote:

> Working with Word is not programming. Word is an application written
> in a
> language like C or something.
> But now, write a document in binary code until it shows on the screen
> like a
> complex Word document. Then again tell me that's not programming.

Not sure where your "in binary code" comes from since that's not at
issue here.  In Word, to italicize a block of text, you select it and
click the italics button.  In HTML, you put a "<I>" before it and a
"</I>" after it.  Those are about as analogous as you can get; one is
just done through a GUI.  If the former isn't programming, then
certainly the latter isn't either.  The acronym HTML even contains
_markup_ in it; it's a markup language, not a programming language.

We can settle this easily enough:  How do you write a loop in HTML?

No one (I hope) would argue that client- or server-side scripting
languages _embedded_ in HTML, like VBScript or JavaScript (or Python)
aren't programming languages.  But HTML itself certainly isn't one,
anymore than I'm "programming" when I'm formatting paragraphs or
selecting what should be italicized or embolded in a word processor.

/  \ I am an island / A little freak of melancholy
\__/ Lamya
    Bosskey.net: Counter-Strike / http://www.bosskey.net/cs/
 A personal guide to Counter-Strike.