No macros in Python

Greg Ewing see_reply_address at something.invalid
Mon Dec 16 21:06:48 EST 2002

Patrick W wrote:

> Lisp is (largely) its own implementation language.  Python's
> implementation language is C.  Object systems can be implemented by
> hacking C/asm code deep in the bowels of an interpreter, or they can
> be implemented in their native language.  If one of these two
> approaches is "fragile" and "complex", my vote goes to the former.

How fragile it appears depends on how good the error message are.
If the pile of macros that implement whatever it is are designed
well enough to produce error messages that mean something to the
programmer in terms of his source code, that's fine. Otherwise,
it will be perceived as "fragile".

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,