Tkinter + Pmw + abnormal program termination

Ulrich Goertz ugoertz at mi.uni-koeln.de
Fri Dec 13 18:33:17 EST 2002

Hi,

I'm experiencing the following problem with Python 2.2.2. Upon quitting
my program (which uses Tkinter and Pmw 1.1), I get the message

Fatal Python Error: PyEval_RestoreThread: NULL tstate

abnormal program termination

This seems to be a bug, registered as [ 231207 ] Fatal Python Error during
program shutdown on Sourceforge (here is an URL:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=231207&group_id=5470&atid=105470 ).

It is not quite clear to me what exactly is causing this problem to
occur. For example, I wasn't able to reproduce it with the first (very
simple) script in the bug report. On the other hand, with my (largish)
program it occurs consistently every time.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to solve this, or for a workaround?

Does it seem likely that the problem would also occur with Tix instead of
Pmw? (With Tkinter alone, I never had any problems.)

I'd be grateful for any ideas what to do.

Ulrich