Is there a bright future for open software projects?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Mon Dec 2 13:38:10 EST 2002

In article <Xns92D8677B5F748duncanrcpcouk at rcp.co.uk>,
Duncan Booth  <duncan at rcp.co.uk> wrote:
>"A" <printers at sendme.cz> wrote in
>news:mailman.1038678221.24481.python-list at python.org:
>
>> Is it possible to develop open(FREE) software that is  better or at
>> least of same quality like paid software?
>>
>You mean can Apache ever hope to challenge IIS? Can Linux ever be as
>reliable as Microsoft Windows?

Me, too.  I think the real question is whether proprietary
software has yet found its business model.  Most software
companies don't pay off their initial investors, we've already
been through the greatest boom imaginable for software,
proprietary quality is suspect, ...  Well, is it possible
to develop proprietary software in a world where so much
good open-source stuff is available?

(In fact, I think the answer is, "Yes".  More on that, another
day.)
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net